The Cheltenham Illustration Awards 2009
The Awards will celebrate the creativity and diversity of contemporary narrative illustration, by rewarding new and emerging talent and providing a showcase for internationally recognized narrative illustrators with a specially invited exhibition and Annual.
Qualification for this category:
Entries are welcomed from recent graduates, previously unpublished artists/illustrators, and artists/illustrators who have not yet broken into mainstream markets. Minimum age 16.
Your brief is to interpret the theme of ‘True Stories’ in whatever style or media you choose. A narrative (storytelling) element is important, however surreal or oblique you may wish to make it. Your work may be single or multiple panels, our only restriction is that it should be able to be printed on ONE A3 sheet and supplied in digital form on CD (CMYK, JPEG quality 8 format).
If you wish to email your entry, you may send the forms and the image as an attachment, provided you can keep the file size below 5MB. (See technical note, below.) Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical note: It is very important that files are saved as JPEG, and the quality is set to 8 or, in the case of emailed images, 7. The image size should be no more than 42 x 29 cm and the resolution set to 300 dpi. This should result in files being no more than 2 MB in size.Please try to save the file in CMYK mode if possible. Unflattened Photoshop files (filenames ending in “.psd”) cause files to be unnecessarily large and could be disqualified.
An exhibition will be held at the University of Gloucestershire Pittville Studios in October 2009 (exact dates to be confirmed) The selected winners work will be showcased at the exhibition along with other commended images and specially invited professionals. Work will be posted on the Awards website and used in promotional publications, the most important will be a full colour Annual which will be sent out to industry professionals and universities.
Entry fees, Terms and Conditions
• £10 standard fee per entry
• Up to five entries per person will be allowed
• Entries will not be returned
• Minimum age of entrants: 16
Please make cheque payable to the University of Gloucestershire together with your application form and CD-Rom to:
The CIA, University of Gloucestershire, Pittville Studios, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 3JG
Deadline for submissions 8 May 2009
• Entries will not be accepted without entry fee
• The University of Gloucestershire reserves the right to cancel the event should sufficient entries not be received for this competition
• Files will not be returned
• Artwork must be supplied digitally on CD-Rom or emailed to email@example.com
• All submissions should be clearly marked with your name and contact details in permanent pen
• File format: JPEG quality 8 or 7 for email. No other file formats will be accepted.
• File size 42 x 29 cm max, resolution 300 dpi
• Include an A4 printout of the image for administration purposes
• Judging of entries will take place in August by a professional committee from the University and Illustration industry.
• Winners will be notified by email or post when possible. However if you have not heard from us by 20 September 2009, your entry has been unsuccessful.